Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Totally EASY tortilla’s! Who Knew?

Oh my gosh I am so excited!

I just got through making homemade tortillas and they are fab-u-lous!

Having grown up in Arizona, and having really good in-law chefs

that cook truly authentic Mexican food , I am a known tortilla snob!

I absolutely HATE those store brand waxy things they pawn off as

tortillas in the grocery store. If the tortilla is shiny, there is

something wrong with it! Okay off my box !

I used the following recipe from A Sweet Chef with a few

changes typed in blue

flour tortilla

Homemade (Flour) Tortillas

Makes 14-16 large flour tortillas

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup bread flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup lard (or vegetable shortening I used this! ) plus 1-2 tbsp., as needed
1 cup hot water

Directions

In a large mixing bowl, combine both types of flour, baking powder.

Drop 1/2 cup lard into flour mixture and, using a pastry cutter, or two butter knives,

cut lard until it crumbles and is evenly dispersed in the flour.

totilla

I added my salt to the hot water to dissolve first ( as seen in many other recipes)

Slowly add the hot water and stir together until mixture sticks to itself.

If not quite moist, add 1-2 more tbsp. lard, as needed. Knead,

in the mixing bowl, for 3-5 minutes or until dough forms a ball and becomes less sticky.

tortilla dough

Cover bowl with tea towel and let rest for 1 hour.

Break the dough into 14-16 smaller pieces and roll the pieces into balls.

Cover balls of dough for an additional 30 minutes.

tortilla dough balls

Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Using a well-floured rolling pin,

roll one dough ball at a time into a thin, round tortilla.

Make sure the ball is rolled out to be very, very thin. Carefully place onto the hot skillet and

cook until bubbly and golden, about 30-40 seconds. Flip the tortilla over and continue

cooking until golden on the other side.Wrap the cooked tortilla in a clean tea towel until ready to eat.

Repeat with the remaining dough.

Serve immediately or, once completely cool, store in an air-tight bag or container.

To warm, wrap in damp paper towel and microwave for 20-30 seconds or wrap in foil and warm in oven.

completed tortilla

Why have I not tried this before? Well, I have heard two things that discouraged me;

One: “they are really hard to shape”

Two: “they come out too thick”

While I can admit that it will take me a bit of practice to perfect the

shape of my tortillas, I had NO trouble getting them to the right thickness.

I was shocked at how easy and quick these came together. Now, I need to plan a weekend

where I make several dozen and freeze them to make good use of my time.

I found that they taste wonderful,  and are healthier with the use of vegetable shortening

and no preservatives. Not to mention they are a fraction of the cost when you

consider a dozen in the store is running about $3.50 a dozen! If

I did the math, I can bet that this dozen was less than a dollar!

Best of all, my Hubs was super impressed!

Best Blogger Tips Pin It

1 comment: